New Legislation Aimed at Cutting Exhibitors Costs at McCormick Place Begins to Take Effect
In May, 2010, The Midwest Clinic was pleased by the passage of a new law meant to reform labor rules and establish new exhibitor rights at McCormick Place. To learn more about how the reforms will affect you, please read this brochure (PDF), provided by the City of Chicago. The reforms will be implemented in stages, and are to be fully in place within 18 months of the law’s passage. The Midwest Clinic staff will keep you informed of changes as they occur.
On August 1, 2010, several important new policies were implemented. McCormick Place staff explained that the changes allow exhibitors to complete work that previously required the hiring of union labor, and provided the following overview of the August 1 changes. Detailed information about each item listed below can be found on the McCormick Place website.
• Standardized Straight Time, Overtime, and Double Time Provisions for all show work completed by workers represented by the following labor unions:
Click here for details on the Time Provisions for labor unions, including the new time windows.
• Expanded Exhibitor Rights which allow exhibitors or their full-time employees to complete a wide range of tasks which were previously prohibited. The rights are extended to all exhibitors regardless of the size of their booth. Click here for details.
• Significant changes to Focus One operations including a new name (Exhibitor and Technical Services) and changes to pricing and service delivery. Click here for details, including the new rates.
• New pricing plans for banquet services, and cash sales provided by Chicago Restaurant Partners. Click here to learn how this will help all Midwest Clinic attendees save money.
• A new Automobile and Small Utility Vehicle policy that allows exhibitors to deliver, unload, and reload certain exhibits, equipment, and materials without paid assistance. Click here for details.
We are glad that our exhibitors will benefit from these changes at the upcoming conference! This page will be updated as we learn of new developments.