2016 High School Institute Schedule
See all that’s in store at this year’s exclusive music teaching clinic
Leadership training session with Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser
The High School Institute at The Midwest Clinic was developed five years ago by Dr. Beth Peterson and Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser as a special program for high school students who are currently serving as the leaders of their instrumental music programs.
Students who attend this exclusive one-day program have the unique opportunity to work with Dr. Tim on leadership skills, life skills and positive motivation.
Students also have an opportunity to visit the clinic’s exhibit hall and participate in a specialized curriculum designed just for them. Listening to an exclusive concert and attending a clinic of choice also are possible. College music education majors from several different universities supervise and participate in the program alongside the high school students, allowing participants the opportunity to learn first-hand from college students presently enrolled in music education degree programs.
High School Institute Schedule for December 15, 2016
- 8:30-9:00 a.m.: Check In!
- 9:00-9:10 a.m.: Welcome and introductions - meet college student mentors
- 9:10-10:25 a.m.: Exhibit hall*/leadership training with Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser
- 10:30-11:35 a.m.: Exhibit hall*/leadership training with Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser
*Insider tip: Before heading to the exhibit hall, download and print a Wish List so you keep track of your discoveries as you explore.
- 11:45-12:30 p.m.: Lunch (provided by Neil A. Kjos Music Company)
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: David Sears, Grammy Foundation Executive Education Director, presents “Careers in Music”
- 1:30 p.m.: Concert hour w- Select one concert:
- Champaign Central High School Jazz Ensemble
- Palmetto Concert Band
- L.V. Berkner High School Symphony Orchestra
- 3:00-4:00 p.m.: Clinic selection hour:
- Don Sinta, saxophone
- Gail Williams, horn
- Brian Zator, keyboard percussion
- Frank Ticheli, composition
- Tony Succar, Latin jazz
- Exhibit Hall time
- 4:15-5:00 p.m.: Wrap up and goodbye with Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser
begins at 5:30 p.m.
for students who wish to attend on their own.
Students who attend the High School Institute also are invited to stay (on their own) and attend evening concerts:
- 6:15-7:30 p.m.: Tamagawa Academy Wind Orchestra
- 7:30-8:45 p.m.: The Jazz Ambassadors – The United States Army Field Band
- 8:00-9:15 p.m.: Canadian Brass
Band and orchestra directors can register
their high school students for this life-changing opportunity. Space is limited, so make sure to secure spots for your students soon!
The High School Institute was created by the Midwest Clinic as a special program for students who are currently serving as the leaders of their instrumental music programs. Students who attend this one-day program have the unique opportunity to focus on leadership skills, positive character attributes and personal motivation. Students also get to visit the exhibit hall, participate in special programming designed for them, attend a concert and a clinic of their choice. Finally, college music education majors from several different universities supervise and participate in the programming along with the high school students.
If you have any questions about The Midwest Clinic’s High School Institute, please contact us via email at email@example.com.